I don't know about you, but I'm the type of person who could live on breakfast food. There's just something about the carbs, proteins, and dairy products associated with the first meal of the day that spells ultimate comfort. It's nothing fancy, but it's deliciously familiar--and if you agree, I'm sure you'll savor a visit to all-day breakfast cafe The Wicked Waffle.
The cafe is a small space, but a functional one, dressed in a trendy red, black, and ivory motif and illuminated by soft, white light. Seating comes in the form of funky laser-cut plastic chairs or built-in cushioned benches flush against the wall. While definitely modern--and, dare we say, quirky--it's a warm and friendly place that sets the tone for a good breakfast.
Barely two weeks open at Eastwood Cybermall, this trendy eatery was bustling with customers on the day of our review. Luckily, my companions were able to lock down a spot for our party--which included owner Tom Pestaño, who helped us pick out the best items on the menu.
We started with the Breakfast Ramen (P80)--a simple, comforting bowl of egg noodles, ham, and garlicky broth that I pegged the perfect starter for a rainy day. From there, we dove into more familiar territory with the Beef Tapa (P150), which was seasoned precisely for Pinoy taste buds. The salty-sweet meat came with properly runny eggs, garlic rice, and a really refreshing vegetable relish with pesto vinaigrette.
Another Filipino favorite came in the form of the Pork Chop N' Eggs (P220)--which, incidentally, is served with unlimited home fries. The pork chop had a nice fatty edge to it and was topped with caramelized onions for extra flavor. But for me, the real standout of this dish was the earthy and tart side of baked beans, cooked for three hours in a tomato base. Yum!
For a little bit of everything, try the All-Pinoy Sampler (P180). This combination platter runneth over with three kinds of meat: tender, smoky-sweet, unskinned longganisa; shredded adobo flakes (best eaten right away to preserve the crunch); and The Wicked Waffle's tapa. The latter, by the way, tasted even better when dipped into pinakurat, the Iligan tuba vinegar stocked by the restaurant.
There's also an All-American Sampler (P200) piled with the Western counterparts of our morning meats. Two eggs and slices of toast are walled in by juicy German franks, bite-sized fried potatoes, a side of baked beans, and strips of maple bacon. My only disappointment was that the bacon, while tasty, was a little flaccid--I personally prefer mine cooked until very crunchy and ruddy in color.
Speaking of meat, none of the previous samplers quite paralleled the Triple Bypass (P330)--a platter best described as "protein overload." A single order of this bad boy brought us three sausage patties (dense, herby, and made for dipping in maple syrup), three thick slices of ham, three strips of maple bacon (sadly, again, a little undercooked), and three eggs cooked any style. You also get fluffy buttermilk pancakes, the ubiquitous home fries, baked beans, and toast on the side. Just thinking about this platter gives me cardiac arrest--but in the best possible way, if that makes sense!
Naturally, a trip to The Wicked Waffle wouldn't be complete without the waffles! First, we tasted the Bacon, Egg, and Cheese Breakfast Waffle (P115)--a taco lookalike that was savory (thanks to its filling), crunchy and sweet (with its waffle envelope). Then, we stuck our forks into the Cookies & Cream Waffle Sundae (P140)--a crisp, chocolate waffle dripping with whipped cream, vanilla ice cream, and crushed Oreos. We ended the meal with another Waffle Sundae, the Chunkee Munkee (P150), which is basically a waffle smothered in banana chunks, caramel fudge, ice cream, and whipped cream. The finishing touch was a smattering of granola, which added just the right amount of crunch and texture.
Needless to say, our bursting bellies needed to be let out after such a major meal--but the calories were worth it. The Wicked Waffle Cafe promises you its Belgian namesake but ends up serving so much more. Thanks to a great price range and hefty selection, it's everything a food-lover could ask for when it comes to simple dining. Here's hoping Tom and his team will open a branch close to Kristn’s office at the Fort so we can eat there whenever we feel like it!
Check out the gallery to see everything we got to try at The Wicked Waffle Cafe.
The Wicked Waffle Cafe is located on the 3rd Floor of Eastwood Cybermall and is open daily from 10AM to 9PM. Learn more about them by visiting their Facebook fan page.
Had a chance to dine here yourself? Click here to rate and review your experience in our Dining Directory.
Photos by Barley Bueno
1 of 27
- Breakfast Ramen, P80This comforting bowl consists of hot noodles in a spicy Asian broth with slices of ham and hardboiled egg.
- Beef Tapa, P150These cured choice-cut beef sirloin strips are perfect for the Pinoy palate. They are served with two eggs cooked any style and garlic rice, as well as a veggie relish for a new twist on atchara.
- Pork Chop N’ Eggs, P220This thick center-cut pork-loin chop is seasoned with salt and pepper and topped with crispy caramelized onions. It's served with delicious baked beans, toast, two eggs cooked any style, and unlimited home fries.
- All-Pinoy Sampler, P180Filipinos will love this combination platter of tapa, smoked longganisa, adobo flakes, two eggs cooked any style, and garlic fried rice.
- All-American Sampler, P200Get your Western fix with this combination platter of ham, German franks, and maple bacon, which is served with baked beans, home fries, toast, and two eggs cooked any style.
- Triple Bypass, P330Talk about protein overload! This sinful platter includes three slices of ham, three strips of bacon, three sausage patties, three eggs cooked any style, and three pancakes, with additional sides of toast and home fries.
- Bacon, Egg, and Cheese Breakfast Waffle, P115A Belgian waffle is folded like a taco over strips of bacon, slices of cheese, and a layer of eggs to form a sandwich of sorts.
- Cookies & Cream Waffle Sundae, P140A delectable chocolate waffle is topped with vanilla ice cream and whipped cream and then sprinkled with crushed Oreo cookies.
- Chunkee Munkee Waffle Sundae, P150A signature waffle--light and golden--is piled with whipped cream, vanilla ice cream, fresh banana chunks, and caramel fudge, finally topped with granola crunch.
- Blueberry Frappe, P70This sweet berry drink is refreshing on the palate and comes with a heaping of whipped cream.
- White Chocolate Mocha Frappe, P75Caramel and coffee flavors blend perfectly in this creamy glassful.
- Chocolate Mint Frappe, P70This drink hits the tongue in layers--first, you get the strong, rich, chocolate flavor; then, you end with a cool hint of mint.
- Caramel Macchiato, P75In the mood for a classic milkshake? This dessert drink hits the spot.
- Red Velvet Frappe, P75Those with a sweet tooth will love this drink, which tastes essentially like carnival candy and is dusted with strawberry powder.
- Oreo Cheesecake Cupcake, P55Cookies and cheesecake combine for a rich snack.
- Triple Chocolate Cupcake, P55These cupcakes use three kinds of chocolate for a decadent biteful.
- Red Velvet Cupcake, P55Strawberries and cream are a perennial cupcake favorite.
- Salted Caramel Cupcake, P55Go for salty-sweetness with this trendy dessert.
- Cookies & Cream Cupcake, P55Everyone's favorite childhood flavor gets remade into a cup-sized treat.
- Macarons, P30Choose from Red Velvet, Pistachio, Dulce de Leche, and Chocolate flavors!
- Oatmeal Cookies, P25Dip them into a Wicked Waffle Frappe for extra goodness.
- Triple Chocolate Cookies, P25These are perfect for choco addicts.
- The Wicked WaffleThis breakfast joint just opened at the 3rd floor of Eastwood Cybermall.
- InteriorsCheck out the resto's red, black, and white motif and cool plastic chairs!
- InteriorsWalls are painted white and are decorated with posters of food and one funky magazine rack.
- InteriorsAt the counter, you'll find cookies, cupcakes, and macarons on display.
- InteriorsSoft lighting is easy on the eyes (and plate) as you eat.