This June 20, 2013, three students from the University of the Philippines (UP) will represent the country at L'Oreal Brandstorm, the longest-running global marketing competition. Team Istas--composed of Joan Hwang, Jackie Manago, and Samuel Santos--came up with an innovative proposal for a men's haircare and styling product line that won them 2,000 USD and a trip to Paris for the International Finals!
L'Oreal Brandstorm was launched in 1992, but the Philippines only started participating in 2009. This year, teams from 48 countries were tasked to come up with a product or service for haircare brand L'Oreal Paris with a specific focus on the Southeast Asian market. Around 600 students applied for the National category, and those who made it to the finals were able to work with L'Oreal executives and advertising agency McCann Worldgroup Philippines to actualize their ideas.
The members of Team Istas presented their product range "L'Oreal Men Expert Ultra Chrome" last month at the National Finals held in Opus Restaurant and Lounge. At the International Finals in Paris, they will present their product to a jury of top L'Oreal executives for a chance to win the grand prize: 10,000 Euros! This is the third time a UP team has won the National Finals; in 2012, UP's Team Eves flew to Paris and took home the grand prize with their proposed "Bath Buddies" products for The Body Shop.
Team Istas bested five other finalists hailing from UP, Ateneo de Manila University (ADMU), and De La Salle University (DLSU). Team Heights from ADMU was the 1st Runner-Up, and their "Arete" coloring mousse product won them a trip to an Asian destination of their choice. Meanwhile, Team Audacity from DLSU was the 2nd Runner-Up, and their "Coalescence" custom haircare range earned them a trip to any local destination.
Team Istas also bagged two special awards: the People's Choice Award and the Best Communication Campaign. UP student Erica Trinidad from Team Vector was given the Best Speaker Award, while Team Fixotic from University of Asia and the Pacific (UA&P) was named the National Wildcard Winner.
Click through the gallery below to see photos from the L'Oreal Brandstorm 2013 National Finals!
1 of 12
- L'Oreal Brandstorm 2013 Philippine National ChampionsUP students Samuel Santos, Joan Hwang, and Jackie Manago from Team Istas won $2,000 and a trip to Paris for the International Finals!
- L'Oreal Brandstorm 2013 Philippine 1st Runner-UpADMU students Ray Pine, Ma. Fatima Caparros, and Therese Larroza from Team Heights won a trip to an Asian destination of their choice.
- L'Oreal Brandstorm 2013 Philippine 2nd Runner-UpDLSU students Victor Sison, Kate Velasquez, and Chesca Villas from Team Audacity won a trip to any local destination.
- L'Oreal Brandstorm 2013 Philippine National FinalistsThe major winning teams pose for a group photo onstage at Opus Restaurant and Lounge.
- L'Oreal Brandstorm 2013 Philippine National FinalistsThey celebrate their accomplishments in the prestigious contest.
- L'Oreal Brandstorm 2013 Philippine Special AwardeesTeam Istas bagged the People's Choice Award, determined by the highest number of votes on Facebook.
- L'Oreal Brandstorm 2013 Philippine Special AwardeesThey were also given an award for having the Best Communication Campaign.
- L'Oreal Brandstorm 2013 Philippine Special AwardeesUP student Erica Trinidad from Team Vector was given the Best Speaker Award.
- L'Oreal Brandstorm 2013 Philippine Special AwardeesTeam Fixotic from UA&P was named the National Wildcard Winner--a new category open to non-partner campuses in participating countries.
- L'Oreal Philippines executivesHuman Resources General Manager Tina Ampil welcomes the guests and students to the National Finals.
- L'Oreal Philippines executivesManaging Director Rowel Vijandre congratulates all the finalists and wishes them luck in their marketing careers.
- Intermission numberThe audience was treated to an aerial acrobatics number in the middle of the program.